Hello! I will be doing a segment on my blog where I talk about my favorite animals. I will start by talking about my favorite of all, the octopus. Octopuses are very unique and amazing animals, I will be sharing some of their most interesting facts that you may not know.
Which Phylum does they belong?
Octopuses are cephalopods of the Phylum Mollusca, one of the biggest phyla in the animal kingdom.
The plural for octopus, is Octopuses, not octopi
- In Latin, lots of plurals end with ‘’i’’ and many adopted this mistake, using the word octopi, but the word octopus is a Greek word.
- This mistake was so frequent that it almost became an alternate word and you can occasionally see people still using ”octopi”.
OCTOPUSES HAVE ARMS, NOT TENTACLES
- This is another common mistake that people do when refering to the cephalopods limbs. Octopuses have eight arms, not tentacles.
- Tentacles have suckers at their ends while arms have suckers all the way down. Also, arms are smaller while tentacles are longer.
- Through their arms, Octopuses have the ability to taste and smell
ONE OF THE MOST INTELLEGENT ANIMALS IN THE WORLD
- If you simply search ‘’The most intelligent animals in world’’, you will find octopuses being in there. They are considered the most intelligent animals in the group of invertebrates because they are high skilled hunters and for their ability to solve puzzles.
- The octopuses have distributed intelligence, they have neurons distributed in their arms. Basically, you can say that each arm has a mind of its own.
- Octopuses have the ability to edit their RNA and scientist don’t know how or why it started. Scientists believe that they do this to adapt to temperature changes in their environment.
- A simple way to explain the editing of RNA , is to imagine it like editing a document, you delete words or replace words that you want.
THEIR SEX LIFE
- The female octopus typically eats the head of the male after mating with them. The male avoids being eaten by jumping on top of her. The female does this because she wont have anything to eat until she gives birth. After giving birth she dies, she goes into a self destructive state, in a process called ”Cellular Suicide.
- Octopus have beak which they use to paralyze their preys and to digest their food
- Octupuses are carnivores, they eat clams, shrimp, crabs, lobsters, fish, sharks and even birds.
- When octopuses feel that they are in an unstable environment, they eat their own arms. This process is called Autophagy.
- Octopuses are very lonely creatures, they like to live alone, and they don’t interact a lot with other octopuses.
- They prefer to live in coral reefs, but they can live in different places of the ocean due to their ability to adapt quickly.
Thats is all! I hope you enjoyed it, I recommed you that you search for more facts on these amazing animals, they are increidible and very interesting.
ctopuses”. [Online]. Natural History Notebooks. Canadian Museum of Nature.
Last updated 2015-04-28. (Web site consulted 2018-07-20).